[geeks] filtering out web base trojan?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Mar 17 07:04:43 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 06:51:26AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Trust me, youdon't want to see this problem. I have a P4 box sitting
> downstairs that I just haven't gotten around to pulling my old
> information off of due to the very same problem Geoffrey describes.

Yes, it's quiet now, but we'll see what happens. :-)

> IIRC the way I got around it (temporarily) was to install a second
> browser (Opera, IIRC, though I think Firefox would have worked just as
> well) and restricting my website visits to well-known, trusted sites. I
> seem to recall that the trojan only infected the browser it came in on,
> and for a while I was able to avoid re-infecting my machine.

That may be hard. One of the sites I need to read is Haaretz, a local
newspaper. They subscribe to an add service who has the "your computer
may be infected" sites as a customer. One of the popular U.S. news
and discussion sites on middle east politics no longer forwards
links to them for good reason.

It may not come from there, but that is a likely source.

> Best of luck Geoffrey,

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Geoff.