[geeks] filtering out web base trojan?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 17 06:51:26 CDT 2008

>From: James Fogg <James at jdfogg.com>
>Date: 2008/03/15 Sat PM 11:17:00 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] filtering out web base trojan?

>> I have a problem with a persistent web based trojan that infects one
>> computer of mine. I can get rid of it once it infects the computer, my
>> antivirus finds it and hijack this and windows defender catches any
>> startup registry entries.
>>
>> Occasionally it gets so bad I have to boot from a CD and remove the
>DLL
>> it installs by hand.
>>
>> This is getting tedious.
>

>Can you identify what site is doing it? I've never seen this problem.
>It's possible that your ISP is using something like squid to overlay
>their own ads and they are delivering the junk.

Trust me, youdon't want to see this problem. I have a P4 box sitting downstairs that I just haven't gotten around to pulling my old information off of due to the very same problem Geoffrey describes.

IIRC the way I got around it (temporarily) was to install a second browser (Opera, IIRC, though I think Firefox would have worked just as well) and restricting my website visits to well-known, trusted sites. I seem to recall that the trojan only infected the browser it came in on, and for a while I was able to avoid re-infecting my machine.

Best of luck Geoffrey,

Lionel