[geeks] filtering out web base trojan?

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Mon Mar 17 02:58:50 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:33:21AM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 08:43:50AM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
>
> > What is the reason for hanging on to XP?
>
> Because of all those applications which only run on Windows. I actually
> have Linux installed on this computer (Fedora 8) and it does not do
> what I want.
>
> I also have 3 other linux systems running 24/7, a
> router/file server/torrent box, a MythTV system and a second file
> server.

Question is actually what are your essential XP applications? I am
finding nowadays that the only remaining windows applications that
cannot be run under a virtual machine adequately are those rare apps
that require access to the actual hardware (for instance, Nero).

The linux multimedia experience can actually be quite good nowadays -
most codecs are supported, and all those other nasties such as flash
can be installed should you desire simply by installing the
appropriate -restricted packages. Based on the original mail, that
seems to have been your requirements - multimedia and web surfing.

Sorry. the original question seems to have been misinterpreted - it
was never meant to imply that you don't know linux :-(

Cheers,
Jonathan.