[geeks] possible good laptop deal

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 11:51:47 CST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> I found this posting on a sale local sale list today:
>

>  >
>  > 15" G4 Powerbook for sale. Good condition. Currently doesn't run...I
>  > have been told it needs a new powersupply, but I am upgrading to a
>  > new laptop and don't need this one. All drives, screen, connectivity
>  > and other functions worked until power supply issue.
>  >

>  Anyone with good ideas on the risk factor here?  Are there common
>  problems with these that manifest like this and are easy to fix?
>
>  If it's an easy fix, I don't mind it being a G4 just to carry around
>  for misc tasks.

"Powersupply" is kind of a misnomer with a laptop, though.  If it's
the A/C adapter, that's one thing--easy enough to buy/return or borrow
one as a test case.

However, the motherboard connectors on non-"magsafe" Macs are prone to
failure, particularly on the G3 iBook line (extended warranty issue),
but also on the others as well.  There's a reason they developed the
magsafe connector.  Power connectors are an issue on all laptops with
the exception of the magsafe, though.

Generally what happens is that the lighted ring around the connector
fails to light up (neither green nor orange), if the connector on the
motherboard is what has failed.  Sometimes they work intermittently,
if you lightly wiggle them, etc.

If you find out the model (have them remove the battery and tell you
the model #), and look here:
<http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Take-Apart-Repair-Manuals-p-1-c-258.html>
you can get a pdf of the  repair manual to see what's involved in
replacing the power connector.

=Nadine=