[geeks] PC Hardware (Power Supplies)

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Mar 5 10:52:38 CST 2008

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:00:19 -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Mike Meredith wrote:
> > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:54:05 +0100, jvdg at sparcpark.net wrote:
> >> Landrover Defender: 1983 - present (25 y)
> >
> > As the Defender is pretty much just a minor refresh of the original,
> > you could claim the whole period ... April 30th 1948 - present (a
> > smidgen under 60y).
>
> Oh, wait, my error, I think I was confusing the Defender with the
> Discovery.

Interestingly enough (after a bit of googling and recalling some
childhood memories ... the 2nd half of my childhood was spent on the
border between a suburban village and a rural village where Land Rovers
were more than regularly seen), the Defender was named as such
*because* the Discovery came out. It didn't see much in the way of
changes when it acquired the new name ... the LR was refreshed in 1983
but became the Defender in 1990.

> (My brain still says there's three kinds -- long-wheelbase landies,
> short-wheelbase landies, and Range Rovers.)

Actually that's how they were sold before the Defender ...
short-wheelbase (LR 90) and long-wheelbase (LR  110) with an
extra-long-wheelbase available which was usually used for special
purposes. I suspect that was always how they were marked rather than
being explicitly a series 1, 2, 3, or a Defender.

Land Rover likes to claim that 70% of all Land Rovers are still being
driven. The 30% no longer working probably have more than the usual
share of battle-field casualties. Apparently the US military became
interested in the LR after the first gulf war when they saw how easily
LRs could be transported by helicopter compared to a Humvee!

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 The man