[geeks] rsync type backup for Apple machines?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Jun 30 10:55:50 CDT 2008

" From: sammy ominsky <s at avoidant.org>
"
" On 28/06/2008, at 23:00, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
"
" > Oh, then it should be simple. As long as you don't rsync them as they
" > are being created. Maybe you can unrar them to one directory and then
" > as the last step move them to an rsync directory or run rsync
" > against them.
"
" OK, so we're getting closer.  Let's see if I can better explain what I
" want...
"
" Completed video torrents are copied to a disk on the media server,
" then I want to copy them to the external disk usually attached to my
" laptop.  When I have watched them, I want to delete from my laptop and
" have them disappear from the media server too.  But it can't be a
" simple "delete everything there that's not here" sort of thing,
" because new videos may have appeared on the server in the meantime,
" which I'll want copied to the laptop.

then you want something like a script on the notebook that works like
this [in shell form]:

VIDEOS=$(ls *.avi)
rsh mediaserver "rm $VIDEOS"
rm $VIDEOS

eg. capture the filenames on the notebook -before- you delete them,
and delete those filenames on the server.