[geeks] rsync type backup for Apple machines?

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 17:15:58 CDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2008, at 15:27 , Nadine Miller wrote:
>
>> Bombich specifically addresses this issue in his rsync page here: <http://www.bombich.com/mactips/rsync.html
>> >.  He uses the backup test suite built available at <http://www.n8gray.org/blog/category/projects/backup-bouncer/
>> >.
>
> Are you sure?
>
> His "bouncer" test is a Mac->Mac test from what I see.
>
> I don't see where he did something like Mac->UNIX->Mac, which is
> what most of us would need.
>
> I know that Apple updated rsync to handle meta information, but it
> only seems to work Mac->Mac.
>
> In fact, I just tried it... if I try to use -E, it actually hangs
> rsync until I kill it, if I am transferring to a non-Mac machine.

How about a local rsync to an NFS mounted filesystem coming off the
UNIX box?  There's more than one way to skin a cat.

When I edit files on my Mac using Mac OS X tools and writing to
mounted NFS partitions (Linux), all the "." files end up in the
directories as well as the __MacOSX stuff.  I always have to remember
to exclude these files when I am tarring something up to load on my
web server.  It annoys me when people who develop on MacOS forget to
do it.

The majority of modern Mac apps use the dot files for metadata AFAIK.
"Resource forks" per se are usually only seen in older "Classic" app
files.

=Nadine=