[geeks] rsync type backup for Apple machines?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Jun 28 14:28:14 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 10:10:12PM +0300, sammy ominsky wrote:

> New videos are created on the media server, then copied to the
> workstation for local viewing.  I want to be able to delete them from
> the workstation after viewing, and have them disappear from the server
> as well.
>
> Make sense?  Is there any way rsync can do this?

Not really. :-)

Rsync has no way of knowing that a torrent is completed or not, and would
constantly resync the file as it was updated. Obviously not the parts that
were correctly downloaded, but everything else would go and go and go.

If I were you I would look for a torrent client that allows you to execute
a command when a torrent is done, or lacking one, hack rtorrent to
after doing a successful final hash check, execute some sort of copy operation,
stop the torrent from seeding and delete the file.

I do it now by hand, but in between I add a step where I look at the file to
make sure it really is what I want and it is worth watching.

The other question I have is why do you need to copy the file for viewing?
Unless you have a very slow network (or the torrent machine is in the U.S.
and you are not), it does not make a lot of sense to copy them. I do to
free up disk space, but I copy it from a torrent client machine to a file
server.

After all, the average 42 minute "1 hour" MP4 compressed TV show is 350
megabytes, which comes out to about .14 megabyte (a little more than 1 megabit)
per second. Even an 802.11b network should be able to sustain that.

Geoff.