[geeks] rsync type backup for Apple machines?

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sat Jun 28 14:40:12 CDT 2008

On 28/06/2008, at 22:28, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Rsync has no way of knowing that a torrent is completed or not, and
> would
> constantly resync the file as it was updated. Obviously not the
> parts that
> were correctly downloaded, but everything else would go and go and go.

I think I didn't explain well.  The torrents are actually downloaded
to another disk, then unrarred or whatever onto the disk that holds
the video archive.  The files I want to copy are not active torrents,
they're complete avis (usually).

> The other question I have is why do you need to copy the file for
> viewing?
> ... After all, the average 42 minute "1 hour" MP4 compressed TV show
> is 350
> megabytes, which comes out to about .14 megabyte (a little more than
> 1 megabit)
> per second. Even an 802.11b network should be able to sustain that.

For whatever reason, playing video across my home network is jerky at
best, and interrupted frequently at worst, sometimes hanging terribly
and never finishing.  Maybe because the archive is on the same machine
that's running the torrents constantly (though not off the same
drive)?  It's a 1GHz G4 PowerBook w/1.25 GB RAM.

In any case, I prefer watching videos off the local machine.

--sambo