[geeks] Multitools?

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 12:31:22 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Chad McAuley <chizad at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got a little dilemma on my hands.  I've misplaced my beloved
> Leatherman Wave (the pre-2004 design).  :(  It's actually been MIA for a
> while, and while I've looked everywhere I can possibly think of, it hasn't
> turned up yet.  So I think it's time for me to give up on looking for it and
> just get something to replace it.  (Of course, this means the Wave will
> inevitably turn up shortly after it's replacement arrives.)
>
> I'm tempted to just get another Wave, but I'm also curious to see what else
> is out there  My needs are pretty simple.  My biggest requirement is the
> blades have to be accessible from the outside.  It'd be nice if the other
> tools were as well, but I didn't mind having to open my Wave to get to the
> other tools so it's not a must have.
>
> So what do you guys use/like as far as multitools are concerned?

i carry a leatherman micra (scissors model).
i used to lose one every six months so i purchased 5 or 6 from an eBay
seller.
now, i also have spares and, for some reason, i only lose one every 2 to 3
years.
i figure i have 15 years of leatherman micras left.

i carried the original leatherman and like it when i started with unix.
the phillips screwdriver will take out #2, #1, #0 screws.
the phillips screwdriver extended out enough to take the sun screws out of
the cable tie-downs.
(one of the admins got a gerber as a gift but it wasn't long enough to
remove the screws.)