[geeks] Firefox regression...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Jun 16 13:13:22 CDT 2008

> On 6/15/08, Mark <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Frankly I think Mozilla are on a highway to nowhere with Firefox.
>> 2.0.0.x has descended into the worst browser I've used in a long time,
>> it's stupidly slow and crashy even without many add-ons.

You know ... I don't know what you're running it on, but on my desktop -
even on a very outdated used-to-be-Slackware install - Firefox is fast
and stable, so long as I don't try to run Flash on Linux.  And that, as
far as I can tell, is the fault of Flash, not of Firefox.  My experience
is that Flash has NEVER, N-E-V-E-R, been stable on Linux.  The Linux
port has *always* been the red-headed stepchild, and it shows.

Once in a blue moon - like, maybe once or twice a year, I will find a
site that is just so horribly broken that it crashes Firefox instantly
on load.  (Or perhaps the site is infected with malware that's
attempting a stack-smashing attack that's killing Firefox.)

>> Where'd it
>> all go wrong? Firefox used to be lightweight, slick and fast, and ran
>> rings around its competitors.

IMHO, it still is, and still does.  Occasionally, something on Windows
is hardcoded to open its Help URL using MSIE, and I am reminded all over
again what a horrible festering pile of rancid dingos' kidneys MSIE is.
 It doesn't even fully comply with Microsoft's own accepted Windows UI
"standards".

I've got FF3RC3 on my Windows box alongside FF2, and in most regards, I
like it.  Enough that I've stopped actually using FF2 on that box.  It's
a lot faster, and it has yet to crash on me.  Video integration works a
lot better.  Players that used to be difficult and fiddly to embed now
Just Work.

The one downside so far is the only replacement theme for Firefox that I
consider worth a damn doesn't support FF3, and its creator says it never
will.  I'll miss it, but I can live without it.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.