[geeks] Firefox regression...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jun 16 12:18:02 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:03:34AM -0700, velociraptor wrote:
> I installed FF3 on a couple of Linux boxes, and based on that
> experience, I'll be holding on to FF2 on my 'doze box.  I mostly use
> Camino on OS X, with a little Safari thrown in for good measure.  I
> only use FF on OS X when I absolutely have to due to "your browser is
> not compatible" b.s or web testing when I'm working on CSS and such.
>
> I've also removed all extensions to FF except for Adblock+ and
> Filterset G on 'doze.  I keep a couple of more web debugging
> extensions in FF on OS X for testing (turned off unless needed).

Overall I've found FF3 to be a big win over FF2 on OSX and Linux.  I am
using RC1 on OSX and RC3 on Linux.  I was a bit uncertain about it back
around beta 1 or 2, but once session management got put back it, it has
been wildly better.

I can say that it has been crash free, but it has certainly crashed a
lot less.  It also leaks memory a lot less, although I'm a bit
disappointed in how much memory it grabs at startup.  But after a few
hours, it clearly uses less than FF2 did after a few hours.

I also think that the built in session management is rather improved.  I
like that it offers to save bookmarks when I'm exiting.  Previously I
would kill -9 firefox when I really had to restart it or reboot the
machine,  to make the session manager save my bookmarks, which always
felt really unsafe.

The one thing I do miss is the Tab Mix Plus extension to give me a bit
more flexibility with multiple rows of tabs, tab widths, and an undo
closed tab list.  But everything else is so much of an improvement that
I figure doing with out TMP is better tha living with the crashing and
memory leaks.