[geeks] WANTED: decent firewire/usb camera for Mac Pro

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 6 20:28:11 CDT 2008

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2008/06/06 Fri AM 11:24:45 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] WANTED: decent firewire/usb camera for Mac Pro

>On Jun 6, 2008, at 09:19 , Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>>> From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>>> Date: 2008/06/06 Fri AM 01:03:50 EDT
>>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>>> Subject: [geeks] WANTED: decent firewire/usb camera for Mac Pro
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I also have an application for remote video, but it will be very,
>>> very
>>> far away from a computer.
>>
>> Define far away - you can string analog cameras far away using
>> nothing more than twisted pair cabling (they make little baulns that
>> use twisted pair wiring).
>
>Far away as in miles away.  It would have to be able to record on its
>own, unless there is some wireless standard I don't know about.

Wait for WiMax? ;^)

>> What would you gain by having local storage at the remote camera?
>
>I wouldn't need a 20 mile long USB cable... :)

Small surveilance DVRs are available, they could easily be attached to a "conventionsl" camera - some use CF/SD flash memory, others may use small HDs. You're talking about a few hundred dollars, but it is self-contained. I can look for pointers if interested...

>>> I've seen a couple that mount on your head, but I would like one I
>>> can
>>> just place somewhere with a variety of mounts.
>>>
>>> Yes, I have some video projects coming up... :)
>>
>> With more details, I might be able to be of more help...
>
>I don't have any more details really.
>
>I want a camera to be able to sit remotely and record either still
>frames at a certain rate or upon motion detection, or record video
>data possibly also triggered by motion.

How do you want to retrieve the video - physically?

>It's probably too expensive and I'll have to punt, I just thought I'd
>see what was out there.
>
>The head-cams are around $200, but not very good for mounting on
>something besides your head.  They typically have 2GB or more of SD
>storage and some have motion sensing.  They are mostly designed to
>clip on a head harness, bike helmet, etc.
>
>They also aren't very weatherproof.

There are probably options that use standard cameras - for better or worse. Depends on the funds available...

Lionel