[geeks] WANTED: decent firewire/usb camera for Mac Pro

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jun 6 10:24:45 CDT 2008

On Jun 6, 2008, at 09:19 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>> Date: 2008/06/06 Fri AM 01:03:50 EDT
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: [geeks] WANTED: decent firewire/usb camera for Mac Pro
>
> <snip>
>
>> I also have an application for remote video, but it will be very,
>> very
>> far away from a computer.
>
> Define far away - you can string analog cameras far away using
> nothing more than twisted pair cabling (they make little baulns that
> use twisted pair wiring).

Far away as in miles away.  It would have to be able to record on its
own, unless there is some wireless standard I don't know about.

> What would you gain by having local storage at the remote camera?

I wouldn't need a 20 mile long USB cable... :)

>> I've seen a couple that mount on your head, but I would like one I
>> can
>> just place somewhere with a variety of mounts.
>>
>> Yes, I have some video projects coming up... :)
>
> With more details, I might be able to be of more help...

I don't have any more details really.

I want a camera to be able to sit remotely and record either still
frames at a certain rate or upon motion detection, or record video
data possibly also triggered by motion.

It's probably too expensive and I'll have to punt, I just thought I'd
see what was out there.

The head-cams are around $200, but not very good for mounting on
something besides your head.  They typically have 2GB or more of SD
storage and some have motion sensing.  They are mostly designed to
clip on a head harness, bike helmet, etc.

They also aren't very weatherproof.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com