[geeks] more eBay bullcrap

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jun 6 13:29:14 CDT 2008

On Jun 6, 2008, at 14:20 , Joshua Boyd wrote:

>> Man, Apple needs to learn how to do threading.
>
> My feeling is that while Mail.app isn't as good at threading as
> mutt, it
> beats the pants off Thunderbird or Evolution.

True.  Thunderbird isn't totally bad, but has some really ugly parts,
and doesn't integrate well with anything, not even as well as mutt.

Thunderbird does at least do reference threading though.  Not
perfectly, but better than Mail.app.

I've not tried the newer Thunderbird releases, so I don't know if it
is getting better or worse.

I still laugh at the whole Thunderbird and Firefox split.  They said
it was to make the applications leaner and faster.

Both are larger than what they replaced, and for everything except
rendering, they are slower too.

Even the new Firefox 3... it is smaller than version 2, yes, but still
quite large.

> If I could just open source mail.app and graft a few mutt features
> (better threading and a lot more hot keys) into it, I would be so
> happy.

Same here.  Mail.app even reminds me of mutt in some strange way.

The only reason I don't keep using mutt is the convenience of some
integration features, and because mutt still doesn't deal well with
multiple mail servers, and a few other issues that Mail.app does very
well.

I'm all for seeing Mail.app get some mutt DNA though, especially
mutt's excellent threading.

Better scripting support would be nice too.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com