[geeks] New to Unix administration

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jun 3 13:43:22 CDT 2008

On Jun 3, 2008, at 11:53 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

> You must, IMHO, read the Unix Hater's Handbook - the material is
> dated (1980's), but the humor is priceless...
>
> Google will help you find it on the web, it was an actual bound book
> now freely available as a PDF from the author.
>
> I've read it 2+ times already, and there are still some parts I
> giggle uncontrolably at.

Funny book, but much of it was outdated even when it was still being
printed a lot.

Interesting that no one wrote a similar book pointing out the glaring
idiocy that exists in VMS, MVS, and other systems, some of which make
UNIX look pretty tame.

TCO anyone?

How about those VMS "shells"?

Oh, oh, oh... "BLISS".  Wait, that's not humor, that's tragedy, sorry.

I was talking with someone one day and mostly we only write humor like
this about systems we interact with in some way.

For example, you'll never see a book poking fun at VxWorks, even
though it has some pretty silly oddities itself, because you just
don't really "use it", you just put it in place and write code on top
of it.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com