[geeks] Is there still a free anti-virus package for WinXP?

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 11:29:49 CDT 2008

hike wrote:

> A friend recommended AVAST in the past.  He found it very good.  I will have
> to check it out.

I'm running Avast on my XP machine and I'm happy with it, after I fixed
one issue that would occasionally pop up.  Avast has different engines
to scan different avenues of attack, so there's the standard background
on-access engine, and then separate engines for web, IM, P2P, email
(Outlook/Exchange and POP3/IMAP, and network traffic.  By default all of
them were running, and I'd occasionally have issues with the network or
P2P scanners eating up all my disk bandwidth and bringing the system to
it's knees. Now that I've just got the on-access and web scanners
running I don't notice it's there.