[geeks] Sun to acquire MySQL

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 16 22:15:03 CST 2008

>From: Mark <md.benson at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/01/16 Wed PM 05:09:59 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Sun to acquire MySQL

>On 16 Jan 2008, at 22:57, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> See: http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan/entry/winds_of_change_are_blowing
>>
>> At $1BN it is a lot of money...
>
>Are you kidding? MySQL drives the World Wide Web (and a ton of other
>stuff besides). I think it's a steal compared to the stupidly
>overinflated prices of startups like Facebook. It is a lot of $$$ but
>it's actually worth that much just because of the install base it's
>got. Granted most people haven't paid for it, but still, it's a
>captive audience.
>
>I'm pretty stoked really, I think it'll make a nice addition to Sun's
>Open Source collection.

Mark,

I like MySQL, but $1 BN *is* a lot of money (I didn't question the value Sun
was getting for their investment, I was commenting on the size of the
acquisition)...

What, on god's green earth, is the multiple that they valued the MySQL
organization? 100 times annual revenue? 200 times? Sun's market cap is just
over $12 BN, is MySQL really worth 1/12th of Sun?