[geeks] ~RE: Mac World announcements...

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Jan 16 17:28:15 CST 2008

[1] Got me to thinking that if I were going to do any crazy amounts of
transcoding, it might be worth it to get an octocore Dell SC1430 when Dell's
got some kind of special going on and get OSx86 going on it to get up to 8
encodes going at a time.  The jobs are dispatched on a file-by-file basis,
not parallelizing the transcoding of an individual file, so this is only
suitable for overall throughput, not "latency" of getting things transcoded
quickly.

For most things dell, now is the time to buy.  Orders placed by January 27th
make it in before the end of their fiscal year.  Salesmen will bend over
backwards to get big orders in right now.

     -Dan