[geeks] Sun to acquire MySQL

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jan 16 23:10:49 CST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 11:15 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> What, on god's green earth, is the multiple that they valued the MySQL
> organization? 100 times annual revenue? 200 times? Sun's market cap
> is just
> over $12 BN, is MySQL really worth 1/12th of Sun?

It's not about value, it is about rivalry.

Sun hates companies like Microsoft, and they know MySQL is very
popular, so they buy it and then have a database that is more popular
than anyone else's.

Since when did Scot McNealy have a habit of making sense?

:)

NOTE: The above is just a theory, but I bet it's a pretty good one.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com