[geeks] windows service without outside resources

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 15:38:56 CST 2008

Brian Dunbar wrote:

> The good news is that we have now demonstrated that a system intended
> for backups is sub-optimal for disaster recovery.  On the other hand
> we've also demonstrated that long nights and improvisation can make up
> for such deficiencies ....

Sounds like you might want to talk with your business folks to find out
what the DR "assumptions" are, and provide cost comparison of man-hours
to hardware.  Since depending on the DR scenario, they may not have the
high-powered geeks around to do the recovery, or if they do need them to
do it, they might have to bring some hired guns in to do it.

Back at my $gov_agency, one of the requirements of the DR exercises was
good enough documentation that any jr. UNIX sys admin with the
appropriate passwords could follow the step-by-step to do the recovery,
since the "what if" was D.C. & environs being totally off-grid (and us
along with it).

=Nadine=