[geeks] windows service without outside resources

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Wed Feb 27 00:46:35 CST 2008

Nadine Miller wrote:
> Brian Dunbar wrote:
>
>> The good news is that we have now demonstrated that a system intended
>> for backups is sub-optimal for disaster recovery.  On the other hand
>> we've also demonstrated that long nights and improvisation can make up
>> for such deficiencies ....
>>

> Sounds like you might want to talk with your business folks to find out
> what the DR "assumptions" are, and provide cost comparison of man-hours
> to hardware.  Since depending on the DR scenario, they may not have the
> high-powered geeks around to do the recovery, or if they do need them to
> do it, they might have to bring some hired guns in to do it.

There is a long back story here.

Short summary: Business has long specified full recovery of everything
in X hours.  IT points out that 'everything' is pretty nebulous and at
any rate It takes Y hours to get the tapes from the storage facility to
the DR site, then Z hours to get data from tape.  All of which exceeds X
by a large and uncomfortable margin.

IT produces studies showing this is so - we've never actually used the
contracted DR stie.

Business looks unconvinced - if you haven't _tried_ how do you know?

This was an effort to validate that it really would take about forever
to retrieve data from tape and restore systems.

So now it's back to the Business guys with our suggestions and advice
about which direction to take.

In the end - as you pointed out - we can only do so much; we can't
define what applications are to be recovered in what priority and how
much time we have to do so.

[1] It has a freeway on one side, and a foundry and a busy railroad line
on the other. What could go wrong?

--
Brian

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod