[geeks] windows service without outside resources

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Fri Feb 22 21:42:29 CST 2008

Eric Railine wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Brian Dunbar wrote:
>>  > Is there any way to create a Windows service that runs an .exe without
>>  > using the utilities from the resource kit?  OS is Windows Server 2000.
> <snip>
>>  Try the "sc" command.
>
> Unfortunately for the OP, Windows 2000 does not include sc in the base
> install - it's part of the RK.  W2K3 added sc (and a number of other
> tools) to the base installation.
>
> -Eric

For what it's worth the exercise - for that application and host - was
pretty much of a failure.  It would have been easier and quicker to
simply install the application from scratch.

But everything else database, directory services, ERP .. worked.  And
Solaris zones rock.

The good news is that we have now demonstrated that a system intended
for backups is sub-optimal for disaster recovery.  On the other hand
we've also demonstrated that long nights and improvisation can make up
for such deficiencies ....

--
Brian Dunbar

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod