[geeks] PC Repair shop fun...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 25 10:17:43 CST 2008

>From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
>Date: 2008/02/25 Mon AM 09:56:00 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] PC Repair shop fun...

<snip>

>Well, I'm thinking specifically of something I can do part time in
>between running kids to and from school.  Sort of part-time Geek Squad,
>making house calls when needed.  I'm not looking to make a living at it,
>just pull in some extra income on the side.

Sounds like me - I'm working for the local school district (5 minute commute!)
on a part-time/hourly basis, 18 hours/week and *zero* stress (I can even
switch days/hours as needed to accommodate children's schedules.

It was funny though - being vastly over qualified, they didn't believe me when
I first applied and pitched my resume ("He'd never want this job!"), but when
I didn't hear back I physically dropped off a second resume with a cover
letter explaining that I understood the low pay and few hours of the job.
After that letter, they took me seriously and hired me on my initial interview
(pending school board approval). I've been working for just over a month, and
it's a great set of guys, the work is interesting, and my boss just shakes his
head when he hears stories about my previous jobs or I give him advice on his
upcoming budget presentation (from an Intern?).

My goal was to get back in the workforce (I've been out for almost 2 years),
and still be able to take care of the kids. I'm hoping for a full-time
position in the fall, either with the local school district or my private high
school alma mater as a teacher...

Lionel