[geeks] PC Repair shop fun...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Feb 25 10:51:04 CST 2008

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
>> Well, I'm thinking specifically of something I can do part time in
>> between running kids to and from school.  Sort of part-time Geek Squad,
>> making house calls when needed.  I'm not looking to make a living at it,
>> just pull in some extra income on the side.
>
> Sounds like me - I'm working for the local school district (5 minute commute!)
> on a part-time/hourly basis, 18 hours/week and *zero* stress (I can even
> switch days/hours as needed to accommodate children's schedules.

Something like that would be excellent, actually.  If I could get 20
hours a week at $10 an hour, that's an extra $800 a month.

> My goal was to get back in the workforce (I've been out for almost 2 years),
> and still be able to take care of the kids.

Yeah.  I've been out for seven years now, except for one contract that
ran about four months.

(And that was a near-disaster at that.  I flew out there on a "just get
here, we'll hire you immediately" set up by a friend who I'd be working
under, with the approval of the CFO, both of whom shared a former
employer with me.  I later learned that when I turned up to interview,
the CEO basically hated me on sight for no particular reason he ever
stated to anyone.  It was *going* to just go poof in my face, which
would have left me stranded in California without enough money in the
bank to get back, but the CFO - who shared the same former employer with
myself and the friend/manager - made an end-run around him and set up a
contract-to-hire a couple of days later when he went out of town for a
few days.  Of course, three months later, the Israeli half of the
company staged a coup on the Board of Directors and fired just about
everyone in San Jose, including the CEO...)

--
   Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
   alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
           It's not the years, it's the mileage.