[geeks] Playstation 3 + HD-DVD

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 11:33:40 CST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 7:06 AM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder how hard it would be to hack a Playstation 3 to make able to
> talk to the Xbox360's external HD-DVD player.  I also wonder whether
> anyone's already working on it.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

I'm late in the thread, but there's another HDDVD "budget" option:

I just saw that the Toshiba HD-A35 is approaching $200 (with 7
movies)... Having witnessed the HD-dvd playback of the xbox360 and
a35, the a35 is just in a league of its own. Plus discrete 5.1 analog
out. Much etter image than A3, and even A30, and does a better job of
upconverting DVDs than my htpc will ever do, without investing way
more than $200. A lot of people are saying it gives a similar image
quality on regular DVD as an Oppo DV-981 (about $250). Decent
upconverting DVD players are in the $150-$250 range... I'm tempted.
Worse case scenario, hd-dvd gets discontinued, I still have a good
upconverting player.