[geeks] website/domain hosting, .mac alternatives

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Tue Feb 12 23:19:06 CST 2008

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with Dreamhost (www.dreamhost.com)?
>
> They offer the whole ball of wax for $120 year, cheaper if you subscribe
> long-term.
>
> They've been around for 10 years and have a sale now.
>
> I had thought about signing up for .Mac, but the truth is a lot of it I
> don't really need, and I'm thinking I might want my own domain name.
>
> I also considered co-locating my own machine, but it looks to me like
> using someone like dreamhost is cheaper with more features and
> reliability than I could manage.

Liftport used them to host everything up until last year - and they
still host our mail.  My wife's biz was hosted there as well.

I had some issues with them but, really, for the price you're paying the
service and features ain't bad and better than most.  I had to remind
the folks here that they're miles and miles better and cheaper than our
previous host.

If you have a business critical system then dh is probably not your
long-term best solution.

We moved because a) we got a better offer b) the server is co-located
and owned by one of the guys who works for us.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod