[geeks] Maildir question

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Feb 11 21:04:01 CST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 9:14 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
>> I'm using Dovecot as an IMAP server using Maildir for data storage.
>>
>> Does anyone know if it is safe to have another mail program
>> looking at
>> and using the same Maildir directory at the same time, or should I
>> really limit myself to only Dovecot accessing the data?
>
> I use Dovecot too, and would avoid multiple reader/writers.
>
> Not so much because of Maildir, but because Dovecot itself is a
> little bit fragile.
>
> It still seems to corrupt its databases, even in the latest release.
>
> I have to keep removing the .imap data directories every few weeks/
> months or things get messed up.
>
> I was disappointed with Maildir myself, so I went back to MBOX for
> now.
>
> I like the idea of Maildir, but don't like how it is currently
> done, and don't like how most IMAP servers work with it.

I'm finding making GNUS and imap work together to be a bit
frustrating, and was starting to think of having GNUS go straight to
the Maildirs.

I final got GNUS and imap to play nice.  I had to switch from
actually using the imap tcp port to using local imap via ssh.  And it
just occurred to me that that is a stupid way to do it, since was
running gnus directly on the imap server anyway.  Then I found that
GNUS with emacs in a shell was rather difficult to explore.

I can't seem to find any mail program that is satisfactory to use
when away from my Mac, and even Mail.app has some things that peeve me.