[geeks] Maildir question

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Tue Feb 12 01:21:38 CST 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:04:01PM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> I'm finding making GNUS and imap work together to be a bit
> frustrating, and was starting to think of having GNUS go straight to
> the Maildirs.
>
> I final got GNUS and imap to play nice.  I had to switch from
> actually using the imap tcp port to using local imap via ssh.  And it
> just occurred to me that that is a stupid way to do it, since was
> running gnus directly on the imap server anyway.  Then I found that
> GNUS with emacs in a shell was rather difficult to explore.
>
> I can't seem to find any mail program that is satisfactory to use
> when away from my Mac, and even Mail.app has some things that peeve me.

I am in the rare minority of emacs users who don't use gnus. I use
mutt. I love it, but it feels lonely enough to start a support
group. Luckily there are a few verbal mutt/emacs users such as
Phil Hollenback:
http://www.hollenback.net/index.php/MuttOnMacOs

If you've never evaluated the mutt/emacs combination the following
line in your .muttrc sets emacs as the editor:
set editor="emacs -nw '%s'" (you can also use emacsclient, but that is
more involved in a shell). I use the default mutt pager.

On my mac I use dovecot imap (with no ssl "laziness" but its the same
host), and either thunderbird, mail.app or mutt as the client; thus
far it hasn't broken but I only have 520M of mail in ~/Maildir.

Cheers,
Jonathan