[geeks] Maildir question

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Feb 11 20:14:05 CST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> I'm using Dovecot as an IMAP server using Maildir for data storage.
>
> Does anyone know if it is safe to have another mail program looking at
> and using the same Maildir directory at the same time, or should I
> really limit myself to only Dovecot accessing the data?

I use Dovecot too, and would avoid multiple reader/writers.

Not so much because of Maildir, but because Dovecot itself is a little
bit fragile.

It still seems to corrupt its databases, even in the latest release.

I have to keep removing the .imap data directories every few weeks/
months or things get messed up.

I was disappointed with Maildir myself, so I went back to MBOX for now.

I like the idea of Maildir, but don't like how it is currently done,
and don't like how most IMAP servers work with it.