[geeks] Q: Desktop/Network toolbag

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 12:56:37 CST 2008

Lionel Peterson wrote:

>  - Philips head screwdriver (small, medium, large)
>  - Slot screwdriver (medium)
>  - Torx set (for working on Macs)
>  - Diagonal wire cutters
>  - Paperclip (for retrieving CD-ROMs from dead drives)
>  - Known-good Cat5e (or Cat6) patch cord (2 meters)
>  - Cisco console cable
>  - USB -> Serial dongle (for above Cisco cable)
>  - Boot CD-ROM with various tools for WinXP desktops
>  - Password cracker on CD-ROM for WinXP desktops
>  - USB flash drive (8 Gigs are only $30[1])
>
> Anything else? The goal is to be able to diagnose problems at remote desktops and correct problems, not replace hardware on-site.

Looks good so far, although like Shannon said it will depend on the
techs and your specific situation.  I do diagnostic as well as
repair/replacement work in my job (among other things), so here's a few
other things that I've found handy.

- Jeweler's screwdrivers (for laptop upgrades)
- A small flashlight, like one of the 2AA/2AAA Mini Maglites
- Tweezers for those clumsy days where I keep dropping screws

Specific suggestions for the boot CDs, in case you don't have anything
specific in mind.  The Ultimate Boot CD [0] and Ultimate Boot CD for
Windows [1].  The former includes the NT password reset tool, HD
diag/install utilities for all major manufacturers, various hardware
diagnostic/system/benchmark/stress test information utilities, and a
bunch of other stuff.  Very handy to have if for no other reason than
having the HD diagnostics and Memtest on one CD.  The later is a similar
concept, but it boots into a XP environment loaded with tools
(antivirus/spyware, browsers, cd burning, file recovery, system info,
etc) that runs off the CD, ala Knoppix. It also has the Recovery Console
on there, so you can get to that without having a XP disc handy.

I also carry the All Windows DVD set and the Windows XP 9in1 DVD (both
available from your favorite torrent site) in my bag, but those come in
handy more for the occasional side jobs I do for friends/family and
coworkers than for stuff at work.  As long as the system has a DVD drive
you've got install media for any version of Windows up to XP SP2 in a
convenient 3 DVD set.  (The All Windows DVDs only have XP SP1, which is
the only reason I also have the 9in1 XP disc.)

[0]: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
[1]: http://www.ubcd4win.com