[geeks] Q: Desktop/Network toolbag

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 8 11:46:39 CST 2008

Hello all,

As a nice, non-"Cheap Dell Servers" topic for the weekend, I was wondering what tools folks think should be carried in a tool bag for some one that works on Win/Mac desktops?

The technicians recently got Paladin tool bags[0] but there is a basic set of tools still needed. I suggested the following list, and I was wondering what others think might be added:

 - Philips head screwdriver (small, medium, large)
 - Slot screwdriver (medium)
 - Torx set (for working on Macs)
 - Diagonal wire cutters
 - Paperclip (for retrieving CD-ROMs from dead drives)
 - Known-good Cat5e (or Cat6) patch cord (2 meters)
 - Cisco console cable
 - USB -> Serial dongle (for above Cisco cable)
 - Boot CD-ROM with various tools for WinXP desktops
 - Password cracker on CD-ROM for WinXP desktops
 - USB flash drive (8 Gigs are only $30[1])

Anything else? The goal is to be able to diagnose problems at remote desktops and correct problems, not replace hardware on-site.

Lionel

[0] http://www.paladin-tools.com/view_tool.php?id=240&parent_id=353

[1] http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0280099