[geeks] Q: Desktop/Network toolbag

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Feb 8 12:03:28 CST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> - Philips head screwdriver (small, medium, large)
> - Slot screwdriver (medium)
> - Torx set (for working on Macs)
> - Diagonal wire cutters
> - Paperclip (for retrieving CD-ROMs from dead drives)
> - Known-good Cat5e (or Cat6) patch cord (2 meters)
> - Cisco console cable
> - USB -> Serial dongle (for above Cisco cable)
> - Boot CD-ROM with various tools for WinXP desktops
> - Password cracker on CD-ROM for WinXP desktops
> - USB flash drive (8 Gigs are only $30[1])

Decent list.

I would add:

- masking tape to hold things or hold cables out of the way, etc
- similarly, I've found various "clips" useful for the same
- a knife
- a putty knife
- needle nose pliers
- some of that rubber grip stuff can be useful for gently persuading
stuck things
   to become unstuck
- compressed air
- a small set of serial converters since actual serial ports vary
- a small meter
- a PC power supply tester, these are usually pretty small
- some varied boot CDs for testing

Some guys carry USB hard drives with an OS installed.

Exactly what you need depends on you and your situation of course.
You don't want to carry too much.  The list above is just things I've
used myself.