[geeks] Rebates

Tue Feb 5 15:56:34 CST 2008

>> Which is in large part why I won't consider non-GSM service [...]
> What does GSM service have to do with it?

It divorces the phone from the service.  I can take my SIM and pop it
into my choice of phone, and it all Just Works (modulo which GSM band
the local provider uses, and there are only about four possibilities
there).

Well, unless the phone is provider-crippled, in which case I don't buy
it, as I mentioned upthread.

>> You *always* have Hobson's choice.  A lot of people tend to forget
>> that.
> Also, I forgot to add:
> You are using Hobson's choice incorrectly here.
> Hobson's choice means choosing between something and nothing,

That's exactly what I mean: choosing what is offered or nothing.  If
you [generic] find "nothing" preferable, that option is available.

What did you think I meant?

> and at least one choice is desirable.

That's never been part of the meaning of "Hobson's choice" as far as
I've seen - and is not part of what I meant here.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca