[geeks] Rebates

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Feb 5 15:37:09 CST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 1:43 PM, der Mouse wrote:

Ooops... I wasn't done editing...

>> The most common example is cell phones, which frequently have a
>> single source and often are extremely expensive without the rebate.
>
> Which is in large part why I won't consider non-GSM service and,
> except
> for special cases like free-without-strings, won't consider
> provider-crippled phones.  (Yes, free-without-strings exists, though
> probably not from arm's-length vendors - I got one that way from a
> friend, once.)

What does GSM service have to do with it?  I see GSM and non-GSM
phones have pretty much the same issue with regard to cost.

If you mean the SIM card... that doesn't remove the cost issue, it
just makes things more convenient mostly.

My T-Mobile phone isn't crippled, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Sprint was pretty bad, and I've heard Verizon is worse.

> You *always* have Hobson's choice.  A lot of people tend to forget
> that.

Also, I forgot to add:

You are using Hobson's choice incorrectly here.

Hobson's choice means choosing between something and nothing, and at
least one choice is desirable.

In the rebate case, neither are desirable choices, so you have a
dilemma instead.

Also, a hint about Peart's choice: you are in Canada.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com