[geeks] Rebates

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Feb 6 08:59:00 CST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 4:56 PM, der Mouse wrote:

>>> Which is in large part why I won't consider non-GSM service [...]
>> What does GSM service have to do with it?
>
> It divorces the phone from the service.  I can take my SIM and pop it
> into my choice of phone, and it all Just Works (modulo which GSM band
> the local provider uses, and there are only about four possibilities
> there).
>
> Well, unless the phone is provider-crippled, in which case I don't buy
> it, as I mentioned upthread.
>
>>> You *always* have Hobson's choice.  A lot of people tend to forget
>>> that.
>> Also, I forgot to add:
>> You are using Hobson's choice incorrectly here.
>> Hobson's choice means choosing between something and nothing,
>
> That's exactly what I mean: choosing what is offered or nothing.  If
> you [generic] find "nothing" preferable, that option is available.
>
> What did you think I meant?
>
>> and at least one choice is desirable.
>
> That's never been part of the meaning of "Hobson's choice" as far as
> I've seen - and is not part of what I meant here.

It's a requirement of Hobson's choice.

The classic example is from Hobson himself, who offered you the horse
in the first stall, or none at all, because he wanted to rotate them
and keep them all in good condition.

If you must have a horse, but the horse in the first stall is poor,
there is no good choice, and that's not what we call Hobson's choice.

In that case what you have is a dilemma.

If you are threatened to choose the horse, then it is either blackmail
or extortion.

Threatened == personal disgrace or just something unpleasant happens.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com