[geeks] Weird MacOS issue

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 01:39:08 CST 2008

On 23 Dec 2008, at 02:38, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I recently upgraded to 10.5.6, and I *think* the install required a
> couple boots, I heard the system start music a couple times before I
> got a login prompt. Also, I think the update messed up safari web
> browser... It started to seize up after two or three pages loaded. I
> took it as a sign I ahold get to know firefox a little better by
> using it.
>
> Anyone else notice bad behavior after a 10.5.6 update?

Okay I'll first of all spell this out to anyone who's listening. You
should *never* install anything else at the same time as an OS X main
update, particularly AFTER one. I always quit everything, install the
update then reboot immediately. OS X updates *used* to lock you out
from running any more apps after you ran them. I don't know if that's
still the case. Still, they set up a lot of stuff, especially in
10.5.x, that runs at reboot and if you run anything that disrupts that
you can wave bye-bye to your OS working.

OS X 10.5.x updates do take 2 reboots. On the first reboot it'll sit
at the white screen with the grey Apple for an long time as it boots,
installs the upgrades to the system files, then it reboots before it
even leaves that screen. It then boots a second time to return to the
OS X desktop. I've never booted it in Verbose to see what it does
during that process but I suspect it boots a minimal OS image and
patches the OS's kernel and essential system files to the latest
version, then resets the boot parameters to boot the full OS.

I don't know if that directly effects what happened to you, but it's
worth knowing if you use OS X anyway.

I'd go with the FAT corruption being a definite issue too, you could
also fix it by dropping it in a Windows box and putting a Windows MBR
on it then dropping it back in the Mac and re-initializing it as a Mac
disk.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: