[geeks] Weird MacOS issue

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Dec 23 02:01:25 CST 2008

On Dec 23, 2008, at 02:39 , Mark Benson wrote:

> On 23 Dec 2008, at 02:38, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> I recently upgraded to 10.5.6, and I *think* the install required a
>> couple boots, I heard the system start music a couple times before
>> I got a login prompt. Also, I think the update messed up safari web
>> browser... It started to seize up after two or three pages loaded.
>> I took it as a sign I ahold get to know firefox a little better by
>> using it.
>>
>> Anyone else notice bad behavior after a 10.5.6 update?
>
> Okay I'll first of all spell this out to anyone who's listening. You
> should *never* install anything else at the same time as an OS X
> main update, particularly AFTER one. I always quit everything,
> install the update then reboot immediately. OS X updates *used* to
> lock you out from running any more apps after you ran them. I don't
> know if that's still the case. Still, they set up a lot of stuff,
> especially in 10.5.x, that runs at reboot and if you run anything
> that disrupts that you can wave bye-bye to your OS working.

Just for the record:

I installed 10.5.6 and then rebooted.  The machine actually rebooted
twice, then I rebooted one more time manually.

I did that before doing anything else.

My problem was caused by something I installed, although honestly I
cannot find anything in those packages to account for what happened.

> I'd go with the FAT corruption being a definite issue too, you could
> also fix it by dropping it in a Windows box and putting a Windows
> MBR on it then dropping it back in the Mac and re-initializing it as
> a Mac disk.

What do you mean by FAT?

--
Shannon Hendrix