[geeks] Seems like low-cost Cisco 10/100 switches are available

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Apr 28 11:57:28 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 12:43 -0400, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> The aforementioned problem with 10mbit devices not talking to 100mbit
> devices was with blue metal rack mounted switches.  We had at least a
> half dozen of those switches (out of the couple dozen in service) that
> had that problem, maybe once every other month, which meant that we
> didn't go for more than a week or two without it cropping up on one of
> them.  They have all been replaced with procurve since.  We had a
> problem with an early gigabit blue metal case switch of theirs too, it
> had 2 gigabit and maybe 10 100mbit ports, but i don't have any
> recollection of what the problem was, and since it was after the fast
> ethernet switch problems, it was the last straw for netgear in my mind.
> I also had bad experience with Dell switches, and don't ever anticipate
> getting another one (the ones that we did have were given to us for free
> with some server purchases).  I have never had a bad experience with a
> procurve switch, and that's the way it should be.  I've never had a bad
> experience with cisco either, but I have used more cisco LAN hardware at
> home than i have at work, so I don't have much to base that opinion on.
> To be fair, i have not used netgear in at least 3 years, so maybe
> they've gotten better, but why should i give them a chance?

I don't have any trouble with my netgear rack mounted fast ethernet
switch and my 10 Mbit devices at home.  And this isn't a new switch.

If you don't like NetGear, then feel free not to get them.

In my opinion, the rack mounted managed Cisco switches are way too noisy
for office use, and I don't have any experience with small cisco
switches, if they even exist.  For some people it may be practical to
have no office switches, but I don't fancy running a half dozen cables
from the office to basement now, plus more cables in the future if my
needs grow.