[geeks] Seems like low-cost Cisco 10/100 switches are available

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Apr 28 11:43:09 CDT 2008

Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> I try to stick with NetGear switches in the blue metal cases, and I so
> far have never had trouble with them doing the sorts of things you
> mention.  I am  thinking of trying a trendnet device next though.

The aforementioned problem with 10mbit devices not talking to 100mbit
devices was with blue metal rack mounted switches.  We had at least a
half dozen of those switches (out of the couple dozen in service) that
had that problem, maybe once every other month, which meant that we
didn't go for more than a week or two without it cropping up on one of
them.  They have all been replaced with procurve since.  We had a
problem with an early gigabit blue metal case switch of theirs too, it
had 2 gigabit and maybe 10 100mbit ports, but i don't have any
recollection of what the problem was, and since it was after the fast
ethernet switch problems, it was the last straw for netgear in my mind.
I also had bad experience with Dell switches, and don't ever anticipate
getting another one (the ones that we did have were given to us for free
with some server purchases).  I have never had a bad experience with a
procurve switch, and that's the way it should be.  I've never had a bad
experience with cisco either, but I have used more cisco LAN hardware at
home than i have at work, so I don't have much to base that opinion on.
To be fair, i have not used netgear in at least 3 years, so maybe
they've gotten better, but why should i give them a chance?

    -Dan Sikorski