[geeks] Seems like low-cost Cisco 10/100 switches are available

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Mon Apr 28 07:01:14 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:26:54PM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> This is something I'm trying to understand - in the home environment
> surely there would be greater benefit from buying a gigabit commodity
> switch rather than a 'good' 100M managed switched, especially if your
> home LAN is of a simple structure with just a single good-enough
> switch. Since I've never owned enterprise-grade switches, please feel
> free to educate ;-)

To be honest, now that I own a commodity gigabit switch, I wish now more
than ever it was managed. I can't use jumbo frames because I have non
gigabit equipment on my LAN and my switch doesn't support VLANs. Sadly,
managed gigabit switches are still a bit pricey for the home user.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner
mj at mjturner.net     | http://mjturner.net/