[geeks] 3kVA UPS

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 22 07:39:29 CDT 2008

>From: wa2egp at att.net
>Date: 2008/04/21 Mon PM 09:52:41 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] 3kVA UPS

>> > I'm going to have help moving it.
>>
>> Real Geeks ... build themselves a robotic exo-skeleton and lift if
>> themselves.
>>
>> Just kidding ... if you are lucky the batts will come out on trays that
>> can be easily removed/reinstalled.
>>
>> --Patrick
>
>That's what I was going to say, remove the batteries.  Probably have to anyway since they would probably be dead.

Save all hardware/cables/etc if you remove the batteries from a UPS - they are *shockingly* expensive to replace, usually requiring that you buy a replacement battery pack from the original Mfg.

I've bought a few APC UPS at University surplus sales, and while a 1500VA unit for $5 is a great deal, I'll often pass if the original batteries are not included (replacement batteries are sold without cables, unless you get the APC kit, and 3rd party kits are half-price typically).

Lionel