[geeks] industrial USB flash drives, and other solid state Solaris storage

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 21 18:40:16 CDT 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 17:19 , Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> "
> " Solid State Solaris Storage... heh...
> "
> " []
> "
> " The other issue is that once you boot Solaris, you really don't
> hit /
> " usr that much.
>
> ummm /usr/bin?  /usr/lib?  also /usr/sfw/{bin,lib} on my system.

How many of those are written to?

Your buffercache will take care of most of the read-only stuff if it
does get used a lot.

It's not ideal, I was just thinking in relative terms.

It's the writes that wear out the flash, which is a big part of this.

> you could front /usr with a cachefs in tmpfs.  then your ssss medium's
> speed definitely wouldn't matter.

SSD storage is pretty fast anyway.

The line you quote above... I was talking about slow flash like CF and
USB flash drives.