[geeks] GeForce 8800GT for Mac Pro Gen 1 on sale

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 16 16:24:21 CDT 2008

On Apr 16, 2008, at 15:52 , Mark wrote:

> If anyone on here using a Mac Pro uses graphics card heavy apps or
> is a gamer this might be of interest:
>
> http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7E4F2D7D&nplm=MB560
>
> There looks to be a lead time on the m in the UK ATM, I haven't
> checked the US store. Interestingly they have also dropped the price
> to within a reasonable margin of standard PC 8800GTs (although the
> price of those is about to drop with the 9600 and 9800 coming to
> market).
>
> If, like me, you made the mistake of buying your Mac Pro with the
> stock GeForce 7300GT and need something beefier this is a good
> upgrade option. It's arguably saved me building a new PC (to the
> tune of 500 GBP).

I'm going to get one.

The 7300 card is incredibly slow.  I can't believe Apple shipped
something that weak in 2007 on a high end workstation.

I hate to spend $280 on something that should have come with the
system, but it makes a difference even in every day use from what I've
seen.

Plus, if you run certain new photo apps, it really flies now.

At least Apple finally lowered the prices on their graphics cards a
little.

Of course, they still charge $150 for the $50 7300... :)