[geeks] GeForce 8800GT for Mac Pro Gen 1 on sale

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 17:05:25 CDT 2008

On 16 Apr 2008, at 22:24, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I'm going to get one.
>
> The 7300 card is incredibly slow.  I can't believe Apple shipped
> something that weak in 2007 on a high end workstation.

Never a day has gone by since February of last year I haven't rued not
getting mine with the X1950XT. Then again Games in Windows take
exception to ATi chips in some cases (specifically one I happen to
play a lot). Granted that's probably sloppy development, rather than
any fault of ATi but they are what they are... Ultimately I prefer the
idea of using an NVIDIA card.

> I hate to spend $280 on something that should have come with the
> system, but it makes a difference even in every day use from what
> I've seen.
>
> Plus, if you run certain new photo apps, it really flies now.

Would that certain Photo app happen to begin with A? Because if it
does then I'm in that bracket and it desperately needs some kind of
hardware kick-up-the-ass.

> At least Apple finally lowered the prices on their graphics cards a
> little.

Amen, i went grey at the thought of paying 220 GBP for a 160 GBP
graphics card. Now at least I'm paying 170 for a 130 quid one it
somehow feels better...

> Of course, they still charge $150 for the $50 7300... :)

Yes, like anyone's gonna buy one of those now ;)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>