[geeks] FFx *extension* performance issues

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Sat Sep 8 20:30:55 CDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 03:02:44PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
> I tend to restart Camino more regularly than that, as I am one of
> those 4 windows/30+ tabs kind of lusers. ;-)  I thought I would find
> the lack of plugins an issue, but with the built-in ad blocking,
> session saving, and the better bookmark management, it's really not
> bothered me.  I wish there was "undo close tab", but the history
> capture is good enough that it's not a problem.

Heh, I'm the same - I tend to open lots of tabs, but have a bad habit of
leaving them open for weeks and never returning to them. Still, Camino just
seems a boatload faster than Firefox.

> My Mac is an older Quicksilver, so if I want to watch compressed
> video like XviD, I have to kill pretty much all my extraneous user-
> land processes or I get a lot of frame dropout because of disk lag.
> I had been meaning to switch it to SCSI for the system disk, but as
> it's my only working desktop at the moment, "If it ain't broke, don't
> fix it" is the rule.

Isn't SCSI for older Macs a bit of a PITA? I did some research on it for
one of my systems and found ATIO to be pretty much the only game in town
and their newer cards seem to still be pretty expensive on ePay. And the
older UW/U2W cards (fine for my purposes) don't have drivers for Tiger,
IIRC.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/