[geeks] FFx *extension* performance issues

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 17:02:44 CDT 2007

On Sep 7, 2007, at 3:08 AM, Michael-John Turner wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:14:18PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
>> For my part, I have been using Camino the last few weeks, and am
>> trying Opera again in the next few days.  I don't miss FFx much at
>> this point.
>
> For the past few months I've been using Camino almost exclusively
> at home
> and have become a huge fan. I've found that it's not the lightest
> on memory
> either though - every few weeks I have to shut it down when my machine
> starts swapping excessively (oh the pain of only 1GiB RAM!).

I tend to restart Camino more regularly than that, as I am one of
those 4 windows/30+ tabs kind of lusers. ;-)  I thought I would find
the lack of plugins an issue, but with the built-in ad blocking,
session saving, and the better bookmark management, it's really not
bothered me.  I wish there was "undo close tab", but the history
capture is good enough that it's not a problem.

My Mac is an older Quicksilver, so if I want to watch compressed
video like XviD, I have to kill pretty much all my extraneous user-
land processes or I get a lot of frame dropout because of disk lag.
I had been meaning to switch it to SCSI for the system disk, but as
it's my only working desktop at the moment, "If it ain't broke, don't
fix it" is the rule.

=Nadine=