[geeks] keyboards for Mac

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 14:55:20 CDT 2007

On Sep 3, 2007, at 7:52 PM, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> N. Miller wrote:
>> I'm thinking about buying a keyboard without a numeric keypad due to
>> my RSI caused by the mouse offset caused partially by the wide
>> keyboard.  I am looking at the Cherry keyboards, but none of the
>> places with reasonable prices have it in stock at the moment.
>>
> I'm not sure about RSI, but I can tell you that after much
> experience, i
> definitely prefer having either no numeric keypad or a detached
> one.  I
> have been using a Kinesis "contoured" keyboard for a few years now,
> and
> am very happy with it, although i will never understand why they made
> the F1-F12 keys suck so much.

I have RSI (repetitive stress injury) around the 7th cervical
vertebrae due to mouse usage.  It's exacerbated by a couple of
factors, and the mouse offset due to the number pad is one of the
larger ones.

I have some wrist and thumb issues, mainly due to mouse shape and
mouse grip tension.  I get similar problems if I play console games
too much.  Typing, so long as the keyboard is in the correct position
causes me very little issue.  The neck thing is killer when it flares
up, though--it's far more painful than everything else combined.

=Nadine=