[geeks] keyboards for Mac

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Sep 3 13:03:44 CDT 2007

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 08:29:25 +0300
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:

> > I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini, and the keyboard is a big issue.
> > I have room for one keyboard and monitor, so I need something I can
> > share easily between a PC running FreeBSD and Linux, and a Mac.
>
> Are you looking at a Mini with a PPC or Intel processor? If it
> has an Intel processor, you can multiboot or virtualize them.

No, I hate either of those options.

The entire point of getting the Mini is so that I have room to keep my
current dual-core Opteron system for *BSD/Linux/Windows, because I still need
those now and then.

The idea is to make MacOS my primary desktop.  That frees up the Opteron for
various other duties.

I absolutely *HATE* virtualization and dual-boot.

Virtualization is OK as a tool now and then, but I don't want to ever depend
on it.

> > The only decent keyboard I can find is the Tactile Pro, which is $150
> > and on backorder almost perpetually, and it really isn't the layout I
> > want.
>
> MacOS has some keyboard remapping, it may do what you want.

Cool.

A lot of people report that the basic keys on most PC keyboards work, but you
must have drivers to get the extra keys working.

--
shannon / Well, I have entered the metallic years. Silver in my hair, gold in
-------'  my teeth, lead in my ass...  -- Sheldon Hall