[geeks] keyboards for Mac

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Sep 3 00:29:25 CDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 01:11:18AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Does anyone know if a keyboard like the "Logitech Wave" will work with
> MacOS?

If it's a USB keyboard, then the Mini will support it. The question is
how does MacOS handle it. A quick STFW showed there was no "native"
Mac version, so that the COMMAND and OPTION keys are there, but marked
with the usual Windows markings. If you touch type, it is not an issue.

> I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini, and the keyboard is a big issue.
> I have room for one keyboard and monitor, so I need something I can
> share easily between a PC running FreeBSD and Linux, and a Mac.

Are you looking at a Mini with a PPC or Intel processor? If it
has an Intel processor, you can multiboot or virtualize them.

There are limits to the number of partitions you can have on a disk, so you
may need more than one hard disk, and your choice of running MacOS or
Linux as your primary system will affect how you do it.

> The only decent keyboard I can find is the Tactile Pro, which is $150
> and on backorder almost perpetually, and it really isn't the layout I
> want.

MacOS has some keyboard remapping, it may do what you want.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838